Letter: Government programs should be to give people a temporary hand, not a lifestyle
The federal government can only spend the money it takes from taxpayers — meaning it can only expand Medicaid by taxing people more or going further into debt. It does not produce goods, does not make a profit and it already is losing over a trillion dollars per year.
Nothing in life is free for anyone who works for a living, only those who choose to live on others' hard work get things for free. Free housing, welfare, food stamps, health care, education and cell phones. Our poor live better than the middle class around the world. They have TVs, microwaves, gaming consoles and so much more. Why should they bother to work when so much is handed to them?
If people are truly unable to work that is one thing, but to all those who would rather live off of others — Go get a job. Government programs should be to give people a temporary hand, not a lifestyle. When the takers outnumber the workers, where we will be?
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Letter: No oversight at all
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts bank...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 90
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 42
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about... 37
- Letter: We can do better 27
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 26
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 22