SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials will honor the legacy of Rick Majerus by hanging a replica of his trademark white sweater from the rafters at the basketball arena where he coached 14 seasons and regularly led the Utes to the NCAA tournament.
Utah athletic director Chris Hill says there will be a moment of silence at Utah's next game and players will wear black patches in honor of a man he called a "basketball savant.' The 64-year-old Majerus died Saturday in Los Angeles while awaiting a heart transplant.
Hill made the announcement Monday on campus.
Majerus had been invited back previously to be inducted into Utah's Hall of Fame. The induction is still planned.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22