SANDY — Real Salt Lake has traded sriker Justin Braun to Toronto FC in exchange for 22-year-old defender Aaron Maund.
Braun, 25, arrived at RSL on July 11 of this year, joining the Claret-and-Cobalt via trade with the Montreal Impact. The Salt Lake City native only made two MLS appearances for the Utah side, starting the Aug. 4 loss at Colorado and coming on as a sub in the Aug. 18 loss against FC Dallas. He didn't have a goal or an assist for RSL in MLS play.
"We'd like to thank Justin for all of his hard work while with RSL," Real Salt Lake GM Garth Lagerwey said. "He's a talented player and we wish him all the best at Toronto FC."
Maund comes to Real Salt Lake after spending his rookie season with Toronto FC. The 12th overall selection in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft, Maund made 15 MLS appearances for TFC. The center back started nine league games, making the first XI in eight of Toronto's final nine matches.
Maund played collegiately at the University of Notre Dame, starting all 77 games he appeared in for the Fighting Irish and making the All-Big East Conference First Team in 2011. Born in Dorchester, Mass., Maund played in the Trinidad & Tobago youth setup before joining the U.S. U-20 team for the 2009 U-20 World Cup.
"Aaron is a good young player who we rated highly coming out of college," Lagerwey said. "We think he'll help us increase our speed in the back and we're excited to bring him to camp in January."
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48