Ravell Call, Deseret Morning News
Former Utah coach — and longtime Rock On staple — Rick Majerus passed away, Saturday, leaving the sports world with one less funny, quotable man.
He was an expert on both going to the rack and ordering the rack o' ribs.
Among Rock On's favorite Majerus lines was this from the Arizona Republic: "Some guys smoke. Some guys drink. Some guys chase women. I'm a big barbecue-sauce guy."
Rock On salutes the contributions — both on the court and on the record — of Rick Majerus.
One big barbecue sauce guy to another.
TOOTH AND NAIL
Sacramento Kings guard Aaron Brooks was fined $25,000 for tossing his mouthpiece into the stands following a loss to the Jazz, last month.
Yes, it's bad, but not the worst thing that's happened at EnergySolutions Arena. For instance, the time Greg Ostertag's false teeth went skipping across the hardwood.
Both occurrences were pretty gross.
The big difference is that Brooks never put his mouthpiece back in his mouth.
Ah, December, the busiest time of the year.
Rock On isn't talking about the holidays, though. He's referencing the moving-about rumors: BYU to the Big East, Gary Andersen to Cal, Bronco Mendenhall to Colorado, Kyle Whittingham to the woodshed ...
Of course, none of this had actually occurred as of deadline Monday.
But just like Kris Kringle, it gives people something to believe.
TSA is reportedly stepping up its screenings for people with "big hair."
This gives credibility to the rumor Troy Polamalu is looking into renting John Madden's bus for road games.
A couple that won of half the $587 million Powerball Lottery allegedly used the numbers of Kansas City Royals stars for their winning combo.
Not true, say the winners, though they do claim they're Royals fans.
Which seems fishy in the first place to Rock On.
Everyone knows the last Royals fan left when George Brett retired.
San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich pushed the envelope too far last week when he sent Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Danny Green home prior to a game in Miami so they could rest for an upcoming game.
The result: a $250,000 fine from the NBA.
Sources say Pop just wanted to make sure his players didn't hit the dreaded 18-game wall everyone talks about.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonsterFacebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 58
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36