Former BYU golfer Dean Wilson and Richfield native Dusty Fielding will need to go awfully low in the final round of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament today to have any chance of earning their PGA cards for next year.
Heading into the final round of the six-day 108-hole tournament at the PGA West Course in LaQuinta, Calif., Fielding stands in a tie for 74th place at 9-under-par 351, while Wilson, a nine-year PGA Tour veteran, who lost his card last year, is tied for 98th place at 354.
Only the top 25 players and ties will receive PGA Tour cards for 2013. The next nearest-number-to-50 will earn fully exempt Web.com Tour cards for the first 10 events in 2013, and the remainder of the 172-man field will receive conditional Web.com Tour status.
Steven Bowditch leads the tourney at 23-under-par 337, a stroke ahead of Kris Blanks. The 25th spot is at 15-under, meaning it will be very tough for Fielding or Wilson to crack the Top 25, although both have a reasonable chance of making the Web.com Tour.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7