Former BYU golfer Dean Wilson and Richfield native Dusty Fielding will need to go awfully low in the final round of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament today to have any chance of earning their PGA cards for next year.
Heading into the final round of the six-day 108-hole tournament at the PGA West Course in LaQuinta, Calif., Fielding stands in a tie for 74th place at 9-under-par 351, while Wilson, a nine-year PGA Tour veteran, who lost his card last year, is tied for 98th place at 354.
Only the top 25 players and ties will receive PGA Tour cards for 2013. The next nearest-number-to-50 will earn fully exempt Web.com Tour cards for the first 10 events in 2013, and the remainder of the 172-man field will receive conditional Web.com Tour status.
Steven Bowditch leads the tourney at 23-under-par 337, a stroke ahead of Kris Blanks. The 25th spot is at 15-under, meaning it will be very tough for Fielding or Wilson to crack the Top 25, although both have a reasonable chance of making the Web.com Tour.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28