BYU football: Cougars reflect on disappointing season, look ahead
"That's my job as the head coach," Mendenhall said. "I'm proud of this team. They've had some unique battles and challenges. (It's) one of the most challenging years I've had as a head coach and as a team, and they just keep fighting."
Meanwhile, possible changes loom on the horizon.
Athletic director Tom Holmoe expressed his frustration last month with the way the season has unfolded.
"It takes its toll on everyone," Holmoe told the Deseret News at West Coast Conference basketball media day in Los Angeles on Oct. 29. "It's frustrating, no more so than for the coaches and players. And the fans are a big part of what we're doing. They're frustrated that we lost games that we were in, and could have won, in ways that we normally don't lose games. … The expectations were really, really high with a pretty competitive schedule. And we certainly didn't live up to that."
Given the Cougars' struggles, Holmoe hinted there will be some shake-ups in the program before the start of the 2013 season, which includes games against Virginia, Texas, Utah, Utah State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Boise State, Wisconsin, Middle Tennessee, Notre Dame and Hawaii.
"You could see some of our troubles early (this season)," Holmoe said. "We've addressed some of them, but some of them aren't going to change this year. It's been an eye-opening experience for some of our players and coaches to be able to see and say, 'Oh, OK, that's what we need to do.' I think there will be some changes that take place between this year and next year that will help our team in many ways, in different aspects, from technical details to things that will be noticeable. It will be good."
email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: AJeffreyCall
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 61
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24