BYU football: Cougars reflect on disappointing season, look ahead
"That's my job as the head coach," Mendenhall said. "I'm proud of this team. They've had some unique battles and challenges. (It's) one of the most challenging years I've had as a head coach and as a team, and they just keep fighting."
Meanwhile, possible changes loom on the horizon.
Athletic director Tom Holmoe expressed his frustration last month with the way the season has unfolded.
"It takes its toll on everyone," Holmoe told the Deseret News at West Coast Conference basketball media day in Los Angeles on Oct. 29. "It's frustrating, no more so than for the coaches and players. And the fans are a big part of what we're doing. They're frustrated that we lost games that we were in, and could have won, in ways that we normally don't lose games. … The expectations were really, really high with a pretty competitive schedule. And we certainly didn't live up to that."
Given the Cougars' struggles, Holmoe hinted there will be some shake-ups in the program before the start of the 2013 season, which includes games against Virginia, Texas, Utah, Utah State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Boise State, Wisconsin, Middle Tennessee, Notre Dame and Hawaii.
"You could see some of our troubles early (this season)," Holmoe said. "We've addressed some of them, but some of them aren't going to change this year. It's been an eye-opening experience for some of our players and coaches to be able to see and say, 'Oh, OK, that's what we need to do.' I think there will be some changes that take place between this year and next year that will help our team in many ways, in different aspects, from technical details to things that will be noticeable. It will be good."
email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: AJeffreyCall
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 19
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7