GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — The leader of Gaza's ruling Hamas group will visit the Palestinian territory for the first time, an official said Saturday, a sign of increasing boldness of the Islamic militant movement after it held its own against an Israeli military offensive.
Khaled Mashaal is set to arrive in the Gaza Strip next week by crossing the border from Egypt to mark Hamas' 25th anniversary and congratulate its leaders and fighters for battling Israel during the recent eight-day offensive, according to a senior Hamas official in Gaza. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of security concerns.
Mashaal previously had been prevented from crossing into Gaza by longtime Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak. But Mubarak was ousted in February 2011, and the Muslim Brotherhood, which has close ties to Hamas, has risen to power.
Mashaal has led Hamas since 1996, helping to build the Iranian-backed movement into a potent force. Under his leadership, Hamas carried out numerous suicide bombings and other attacks on buses, cafes and other public places that killed hundreds of Israelis during a Palestinian uprising a decade ago. The group has been branded a terrorist organization by Israel, the U.S. and the European Union.
He also survived an Israeli assassination attack in Jordan in 1997. Until recently, he was based in Syria, but after civil war broke out there, he relocated to Qatar.
Hamas overtook Gaza from forces loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah party in 2007. It has yet to reconcile with Fatah, which rules the West Bank.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4