The shorthand name for the new edition, the organization's fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, is DSM-5. Group leaders said specifics won't be disclosed until the manual is published but they confirmed some changes. A 2000 edition of the manual made minor changes but the last major edition was published in 1994.
Olfson said the manual "seeks to capture the current state of knowledge of psychiatric disorders. Since 2000 ... there have been important advances in our understanding of the nature of psychiatric disorders."
Catherine Lord, an autism expert at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York who was on the psychiatric group's autism task force, said anyone who met criteria for Asperger's in the old manual would be included in the new diagnosis.
One reason for the change is that some states and school systems don't provide services for children and adults with Asperger's, or provide fewer services than those given an autism diagnosis, she said.
Autism researcher Geraldine Dawson, chief science officer for the advocacy group Autism Speaks, said small studies have suggested the new criteria will be effective. But she said it will be crucial to monitor so that children don't lose services.
Other changes include:
—A new diagnosis for severe recurrent temper tantrums — disruptive mood dysregulation disorder. Critics say it will medicalize kids' who have normal tantrums. Supporters say it will address concerns about too many kids being misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and treated with powerful psychiatric drugs. Bipolar disorder involves sharp mood swings and affected children are sometimes very irritable or have explosive tantrums.
—Eliminating the term "gender identity disorder." It has been used for children or adults who strongly believe that they were born the wrong gender. But many activists believe the condition isn't a disorder and say calling it one is stigmatizing. The term would be replaced with "gender dysphoria," which means emotional distress over one's gender. Supporters equated the change with removing homosexuality as a mental illness in the diagnostic manual, which happened decades ago.
Diagnostic manual: http://www.dsm5.org
AP Medical Writer Lindsey Tanner can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/LindseyTanner .
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Clinton failed to hand over key email to...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Rescuers search rubble in east China after...
- Britain will leave the 28-nation European...
- 'No' to Obama's immigration plans, Supreme...
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 36
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Did Trump really just become a... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26