SAN MARCOS, Texas — Utah ended a lengthy road skid Friday with a 74-69 victory at Texas State.
Jarred DuBois scored 21 points, Jason Washburn added 18 and Jordan Loveridge finished with 17 as the Utes prevailed away from the Huntsman Center for the first time since a buzzer-beating win at New Mexico on Feb. 19, 2011 — ending a skid of 14 consecutive setbacks on the road.
"It's a huge monkey off our back, got that first road win on our first trip of the season and we couldn't be happier," Washburn told ESPN 700. "We've got a lot of areas to improve on, a lot of things we can fix, but for the most part that was a solid effort."
Trailing 55-54, Utah took the lead for good on two free throws by Loveridge with 7:07 left to play. The true freshman from West Jordan High School, who grabbed several key rebounds during the decisive stretch, added another pair of foul shots 19 seconds later to ignite a 14-2 run that gave the Utes a 68-57 edge with just over two minutes remaining.
It proved to be more than enough for Utah (5-2) to withstand a late comeback bid by Texas State (3-4) and secure the victory, two days after dropping a 62-55 decision at SMU.
Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak told ESPN 700 that he was pleased with how his team responded to Texas State's pressure
"For the most part we took care of the ball," Krystkowiak said. "I thought we got a great lift out of a couple of guys and managed to hold on down the stretch."
Utah held a 33-30 advantage at halftime after weathering a rally by Texas State in the closing minutes. The Utes, who led 26-16 with 5:31 remaining in the half, were paced by 12 points from Washburn and 10 by DuBois.
The Utes return home to face Boise State on Wednesday. They'll travel to BYU next Saturday.
"It's on," Krystkowiak said. "I think this week feels a little bit like Pac-12 basketball."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21