DALLAS — The Boy Scouts of America will not immediately have to turn over 27 years of so-called "perversion files" the group keeps on sexual abuse complaints against adults involved in the organization, a Texas appeal court has ruled.
A former scout who says he was sexually assaulted by a now-imprisoned former scoutmaster has filed suit in San Antonio against the national Boy Scouts and the local group in San Antonio. His attorneys want the Boy Scouts of America to turn over internal files on scout leaders dating from 1985 to last year.
State District Judge Martha Tanner ruled in August that the Scouts would have to release those files to the teenager's attorneys. The 4th Texas Court of Appeals on Thursday granted the Scouts' request to stay that portion of her order.
The public release in October of files dating from 1959 to 1985 revealed a cover-up of decades of sexual abuse, as Scout leadership sought to shield scoutmasters and other adult leaders from criminal charges. The national Scouts organization, based in the Dallas suburb of Irving, has said it now requires any suspicion of abuse to be reported to law enforcement.
Attorneys for the former scout are expected to file a response to the appeals court sometime next week.
Paul Mones, a Portland, Ore., attorney who is one of the lawyers representing the teen, said on Friday that he didn't know what the more recent files might contain.
"We do know, as does the rest of the United States, what's contained in 1959 to 1985," Mones said. "So over the last 27 years, obviously that's something that we believe … will be important."
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Arizona monitoring hundreds for measles...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Friend disputes Denver police account of...
- Study: Insurers may be using drug costs to...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 38
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 27
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11