Our take: Think your new 'green' home is good for the environment? Think again. Houses are being insulated with materials that are related to DDT, according to Kalliopi Monoyios's article in Business Insider. Monoyios said another material found is HBCD which affects the nervous system could be around for decades even if production ceases immediately. Monoyios shares more about the harm of new 'green' homes:
"Newer homes are remarkably energy tight thanks to superior insulating materials that are in wide circulation today.
The energy savings can be substantial homeowners can use up to 60 percent less energy in the most efficient green homes.
Now, a study published by a team of researchers in Building Research & Information makes it clear that the very materials that provide us with such energy efficiency are pumped full of harmful flame retardant chemicals."
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more than 2...
- Police name doctor killed in Reno hospital...
- Ancient Stonehenge gets modern-day revamp
- Ron Burgundy continues to weave through...
- United Methodist minister won't quit...
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer
- Massachusetts high-tech startup hopes to...
- Rare gene discovered that doubles Alzheimer's...
- Poll: Obama's health care law blamed... 35
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter entered... 34
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 29
- Associated Press survey: United States... 20
- United Methodist minister won't quit... 17
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more... 14
- More North Korea purges may follow... 7
- Fake interpreter at Nelson Mandela... 5