SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Danny Berger and Preston Medlin scored 11 points each and provided vital offense down the stretch to lead Utah State to an 80-78 overtime victory against Santa Clara on Wednesday night.
Medlin's 3-point shot with three seconds left in regulation forced the extra session, and his shot from behind the arc gave the Aggies (4-1) a four-point lead that Berger helped protect with three free throws in the last 54 seconds.
Still, the Broncos (5-1) had a chance, as Evan Roquemore's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left made it 79-78. After Berger made 1 of 2 from the line, Roquemore aimed for the win from 3-point range, but his shot missed at the buzzer.
Kevin Foster had 27 points and made five 3-pointers for Santa Clara. Roquemore added 23 points.
Jarred Shaw scored 15 points before fouling out late in regulation for Utah State, which shot 56 percent (28 of 50) from the floor. Kylsean Reed had 11 points, including a dunk that gave the Aggies a 79-75 cushion with 23 seconds left in overtime.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20