SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Danny Berger and Preston Medlin scored 11 points each and provided vital offense down the stretch to lead Utah State to an 80-78 overtime victory against Santa Clara on Wednesday night.
Medlin's 3-point shot with three seconds left in regulation forced the extra session, and his shot from behind the arc gave the Aggies (4-1) a four-point lead that Berger helped protect with three free throws in the last 54 seconds.
Still, the Broncos (5-1) had a chance, as Evan Roquemore's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left made it 79-78. After Berger made 1 of 2 from the line, Roquemore aimed for the win from 3-point range, but his shot missed at the buzzer.
Kevin Foster had 27 points and made five 3-pointers for Santa Clara. Roquemore added 23 points.
Jarred Shaw scored 15 points before fouling out late in regulation for Utah State, which shot 56 percent (28 of 50) from the floor. Kylsean Reed had 11 points, including a dunk that gave the Aggies a 79-75 cushion with 23 seconds left in overtime.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22