SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Danny Berger and Preston Medlin scored 11 points each and provided vital offense down the stretch to lead Utah State to an 80-78 overtime victory against Santa Clara on Wednesday night.
Medlin's 3-point shot with three seconds left in regulation forced the extra session, and his shot from behind the arc gave the Aggies (4-1) a four-point lead that Berger helped protect with three free throws in the last 54 seconds.
Still, the Broncos (5-1) had a chance, as Evan Roquemore's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left made it 79-78. After Berger made 1 of 2 from the line, Roquemore aimed for the win from 3-point range, but his shot missed at the buzzer.
Kevin Foster had 27 points and made five 3-pointers for Santa Clara. Roquemore added 23 points.
Jarred Shaw scored 15 points before fouling out late in regulation for Utah State, which shot 56 percent (28 of 50) from the floor. Kylsean Reed had 11 points, including a dunk that gave the Aggies a 79-75 cushion with 23 seconds left in overtime.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 18
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 13
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11