SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Danny Berger and Preston Medlin scored 11 points each and provided vital offense down the stretch to lead Utah State to an 80-78 overtime victory against Santa Clara on Wednesday night.
Medlin's 3-point shot with three seconds left in regulation forced the extra session, and his shot from behind the arc gave the Aggies (4-1) a four-point lead that Berger helped protect with three free throws in the last 54 seconds.
Still, the Broncos (5-1) had a chance, as Evan Roquemore's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left made it 79-78. After Berger made 1 of 2 from the line, Roquemore aimed for the win from 3-point range, but his shot missed at the buzzer.
Kevin Foster had 27 points and made five 3-pointers for Santa Clara. Roquemore added 23 points.
Jarred Shaw scored 15 points before fouling out late in regulation for Utah State, which shot 56 percent (28 of 50) from the floor. Kylsean Reed had 11 points, including a dunk that gave the Aggies a 79-75 cushion with 23 seconds left in overtime.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 75
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29