SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Danny Berger and Preston Medlin scored 11 points each and provided vital offense down the stretch to lead Utah State to an 80-78 overtime victory against Santa Clara on Wednesday night.
Medlin's 3-point shot with three seconds left in regulation forced the extra session, and his shot from behind the arc gave the Aggies (4-1) a four-point lead that Berger helped protect with three free throws in the last 54 seconds.
Still, the Broncos (5-1) had a chance, as Evan Roquemore's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left made it 79-78. After Berger made 1 of 2 from the line, Roquemore aimed for the win from 3-point range, but his shot missed at the buzzer.
Kevin Foster had 27 points and made five 3-pointers for Santa Clara. Roquemore added 23 points.
Jarred Shaw scored 15 points before fouling out late in regulation for Utah State, which shot 56 percent (28 of 50) from the floor. Kylsean Reed had 11 points, including a dunk that gave the Aggies a 79-75 cushion with 23 seconds left in overtime.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42