Colin Kaepernick to remain 49ers starting QB in place of former Ute Alex Smith
Gerald Herbert, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Tight end Delanie Walker arrives at work at 6 a.m. each day, and Colin Kaepernick always beats him to 49ers headquarters.
The quarterback clocks in before most of his teammates for that matter.
With that work ethic and standout performances, Kaepernick has earned himself a third straight start at quarterback for San Francisco on Sunday at St. Louis.
"Kap's here before me. He's here lifting weights," Walker said.
Coach Jim Harbaugh made the announcement Wednesday that Kaepernick got the nod over Alex Smith after the second-year pro led the NFC West-leading Niners (8-2-1) to victories in the past two games, his first two NFL starts.
"The rationale is we have two quarterbacks that we feel great about as a starting quarterback," Harbaugh said. "Both have earned it, both deserve it — Alex over a long period of time, Colin by virtue of the last three games. It tips the scales. Colin we believe has the hot hand. We'll go with Colin. And we'll go with Alex. They're both our guys."
Yes, Harbaugh is still leaving open every possibility, saying it still could be a week-to-week decision. All Kaepernick knows is he will begin Sunday's game under center.
Harbaugh warned, "I wouldn't assume anything."
"To start talking about speculation or every permutation you could get into, we're not going to speculate on it," Harbaugh said. "We're worried about everything and we fear nothing."
Kaepernick has completed 48 of 74 passes for 680 yards and three touchdowns.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- How to get a ballpark-like lawn (+video)
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8