DAYTON, Ohio — Kyle Tresnak scored 16 points and Scott Bamforth added 15 as Weber State rallied from a seven-point deficit, then held off Dayton 62-61 Wednesday night.
Trailing 27-20, the Wildcats (2-2) went on a 16-2 run, with Bamforth scoring eight straight points in the spree, including a pair of 3-pointers.
"I can't tell you how proud I am of our team and how they fought tonight," said WSU head coach Randy Rahe. "We stayed together and played really tough throughout and had so many players step up and contribute. It's a huge win for us and our program in a very tough environment and it really gives our team a lot of confidence."
Dayton (4-2) used a 7-0 spurt to tie it at 38, but couldn't pull ahead until a Josh Benson three-point play with 2:34 to go made it 57-56.
Tresnak knotted the game with a free throw, then Bamforth hit a 3 with 1:26 remaining.
Benson trimmed the deficit to 60-59 with two free throws, which Bamforth matched with 8 seconds left. Devin Oliver made a layup with 1 second remaining for the final margin as the Flyers saw their three-game winning streak end.
Kevin Dillard led Dayton with 18 points and Benson had 17 in the first meeting between the programs.
"We had some turnovers and couldn't get the shots we wanted in the first half, but came out and executed how we wanted to in the second half and knocked down some shots," Bamforth said. "It was a great effort for the whole team and a big win for us."
Dayton (4-2) was 90-15 at home over the last six seasons entering the game, which was played in front of 12,176 fans, marking the 205th straight game at Dayton with at least 11,000 fans.
The win was Weber State's first road win of the season.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16