Community responds to loss of middle school teacher, basketball coach Randy Treglown
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Elk Ridge Middle School teacher Randy Treglown was known for his love for running and kindness to the students he taught.
A Facebook page was created in dedication of the 51-year-old physical education instructor, who died Wednesday when he was struck by a vehicle along 9800 South near 4000 West while Treglown was on a morning jog. Current and former students, friends, and family members gathered to share photos, memories, and condolences to the loss of Treglown.
"When I had Mr. T as my gym teacher I would always have to walk the mile runs because of asthma. He would walk beside me and just talk to me about life. Will never forget how much he supported me. He will be missed by many♥," wrote Brooklyn Furse.
"I always admired that Treglown would jog or ride a bike to school every morning. He had a passion for physical health and he would push his students to be healthy and try their best in class. He was a kind man and it was way too soon for him to go. My sympathy goes out to his family," wrote Cassi Knighton.
The Facebook page was set up shortly after the accident was reported and has 271 members as of 4:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.
Condolences for the Treglown family have shown up on Twitter throughout the day, and many express their disbelief of what happened Wednesday morning.
R.I.P Mr. Treglown. You were a great teacher and will be missed.— Kenna Jade(: (@KennaA7X) November 28, 2012
Mr #treglown was a great teach, coach and motivator. he went above and beyond as a teacher. The world lost a great person today :( RIP— Andrew Ayrton (@andables) November 28, 2012
#HatsOffTo Mr. Treglown. My heart goes out to your friends and family, as well as students. Rest in Peace.— Talin Campbell (@_CampBeastMode_) November 28, 2012
RIP Coach Treglown... You were a great gym coach we will miss you...— Tate Harris (@Taters2014) November 28, 2012
So sad to hear about Mr. Treglown.. R.I.P. My heart goes out to his son and the rest of his family. && Everyone at Elk Ridge.— Kenzi Mathewson (@Kenzi_mostdope3) November 28, 2012
Treglown, who was married with three sons, was teaching seven classes and 228 students. He has served for 17 years as a physical education teacher at Elk Ridge Middle school.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7