Alicia Ross for Kitchen Scoop,
Several years ago I read a report that said more people cook between Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Day than any other time of year. It's not surprising, really. Planning a special menu during the holiday season is fun and festive.
But it's not the special menu that stresses me out. It's dinner tonight! It seems I get even more desperate around those big "cooking" days than I do on the big day itself. I feel as if I spend so much time planning the special meal that my everyday dinners suffer.
Today's recipe for a super-quick Cream of Vegetable Soup is just the ticket for a stress-free midweek dinner. It's sized for two, although easily doubled or tripled if need be. It flies together start to finish in just 15 minutes, and it will soothe the soul and feed the hungriest of households.
Alicia Ross is the co-author of "Desperation Dinners!" (Workman, 1997), "Desperation Entertaining!" (Workman, 2002) and "Cheap. Fast. Good!" (Workman, 2006). Contact her at Kitchen Scoop, c/o Universal Uclick, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit the Kitchen Scoop website at www.kitchenscoop.com.
© Alicia Ross
Dist. by Universal Uclick for UFS
Easy Cream of Vegetable Soup
Simple tossed salad
Purchased sourdough rolls
Easy Cream of Vegetable Soup
Start to finish: 15 minutes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup each finely chopped onion, finely chopped carrots and finely chopped mushrooms, for 3 cups chopped mixed vegetables (see Cook's Note)
1 cup reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (Italian-style preferred)
In a medium saucepan, saute the vegetables in the oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add milk; simmer to combine flavors. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Cook's Note: Peppers and celery in combination with other vegetables are also delicious. Just make sure you have 3 cups of finely chopped vegetables for each serving of 2.
Yield: 2 servings
Approximate values per serving: 165 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 6 mg cholesterol, 9 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 770 mg sodium.
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- Alicia Keys is asking a simple question to...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Taking a leap of...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Why do we love bad movies?
- ‘Kung Fu Panda’ director to helm...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 16
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's... 3
- Actress detained by police refuses to... 1
- Why do we love bad movies? 1
- ‘Kung Fu Panda’ director to... 1
- Alicia Keys is asking a simple question... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Taking a leap... 1