Our take: The looming words "fiscal cliff" has weighed heavy on many American's minds lately. If the nation goes over the fiscal cliff, serious consequences for health care could result. Scientific research and public health programs would receive funding cuts. As well as, ACA's Prevention and Public Health Fund could be cut $76 million, according to Kathy Lim Ko's article on The Huffington Post's blog. Ko explains other resulting damage for health care:
"New trending topic: the fiscal cliff. Washington loves its metaphors and the fiscal cliff is no exception. Unless Congress and the administration reach a new compromise, come Jan. 2, 2013, discretionary spending, or what most people really consider 'government' education, transportation and health will be slashed by 8.2 percent.
This has dire consequences for the nation's economy. The Congressional Budget Office estimates the economy will shrink and unemployment will rise."
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- The Latest on prophet cartoon case: 1 man's...
- Defeated boxer Pacquiao keeps faith, as do...
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 9