LDS Newsroom, © 2012 Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
Our take: Sometimes referred to as the "Forgotten War," the Korean War never received much attention in the West, shadowed by the aftermath of WWII and, later, the growing conflict in Vietnam. But for people in South Korea, the results of the conflict are seen daily.
Peter Elliott, of Australia, was one of thousands of foreign soldiers deployed to support the South Korean army more than 60 years ago. Last week, he was honored as an "Ambassador For Peace" by the Republic of Korea. The LDS Church's Newsroom spoke to Elliott about his service and how his time in Korea eventually led him to the Mormon faith.
GOLD COAST, QUEENSLAND — Before a crowd of Korean War veterans, Peter Elliott, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, recently was honoured by the Republic of Korea for service in restoring and preserving freedom and democracy to that land.
Officiating was Col. Paul Kim, Republic of Korea Army (ret.), on behalf of Kim Yang, Minister of Patriots and Veterans Affairs, ROK, and Park Seh-Jik, MG, ROK (ret), Chairman of the Korean Veterans Association.
We cherish in our hearts the memory of your boundless sacrifices in helping us re-establish our free nation, said Mr Kim in the solemn ceremony. On behalf of the government and people of the Republic of Korea, thank you for your service.
Born in South Australia, Peter was working for a news and mail newspaper when, by 1951, a major conflict had developed in Korea. Says Peter, I felt, as did many young men, the need to enlist.
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- The effect of having a widow's mite of faith
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates... 4
- The most grateful religions in America,... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1