Atheists' challenges to Santa Monica nativity displays may put an end to the 60-year tradition
Reed Saxon, Associated Press
Our take: For nearly 60 years, a coalition of Santa Monica churches displayed a series of nativity images in a local park — until religious controversy ensued.Last year, atheists led by Damon Vix won 18 of the 21 slots in a city-sponsored lottery for the holiday displays, creating tension. This year, in an effort to avoid controversy, the city has proposed a motion to ban seasonal public displays.
This article from the Los Angeles Times explores the next step for churches wanting to continuing the traditional holiday displays.
A coalition of church groups that has erected Nativity scenes in Santa Monica for more than 50 years is pondering its next steps after a federal judge ruled the city has the right to bar seasonal public displays.
William J. Becker, an attorney for the Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee, said he would consult with his "brain trust" to determine what steps the coalition would take if Judge Audrey B. Collins grants the city's motion to dismiss the church group's case at a hearing next month.
Since 1953, the coalition each December has erected a tableau of scenes depicting the birth of Jesus in Palisades Park.
A few years ago, the tradition offended Damon Vix, an atheist, who applied to put up a booth next to the Nativity story. Last year, he encouraged other atheists to flood the city with applications, including a satirical homage to the "Pastafarian religion" featuring a representation of the "Flying Spaghetti Monster."
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- The Clean Cut: Lexi Walker sings Christmas...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 46
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 44
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10