Atheists' challenges to Santa Monica nativity displays may put an end to the 60-year tradition
Reed Saxon, Associated Press
Our take: For nearly 60 years, a coalition of Santa Monica churches displayed a series of nativity images in a local park — until religious controversy ensued.Last year, atheists led by Damon Vix won 18 of the 21 slots in a city-sponsored lottery for the holiday displays, creating tension. This year, in an effort to avoid controversy, the city has proposed a motion to ban seasonal public displays.
This article from the Los Angeles Times explores the next step for churches wanting to continuing the traditional holiday displays.
A coalition of church groups that has erected Nativity scenes in Santa Monica for more than 50 years is pondering its next steps after a federal judge ruled the city has the right to bar seasonal public displays.
William J. Becker, an attorney for the Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee, said he would consult with his "brain trust" to determine what steps the coalition would take if Judge Audrey B. Collins grants the city's motion to dismiss the church group's case at a hearing next month.
Since 1953, the coalition each December has erected a tableau of scenes depicting the birth of Jesus in Palisades Park.
A few years ago, the tradition offended Damon Vix, an atheist, who applied to put up a booth next to the Nativity story. Last year, he encouraged other atheists to flood the city with applications, including a satirical homage to the "Pastafarian religion" featuring a representation of the "Flying Spaghetti Monster."
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Pope's message of peace resonates with Syrian...
- Retired pope thanks reigning pope for his...
- Apocalypse when? How teachings on the end of...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Radiate goodness
- Hamblin & Peterson: John Knox and the...
- Could Brexit be an apocalyptic prediction?
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Long PBS piece calls Mormon welfare... 13
- Could Brexit be an apocalyptic prediction? 12
- Pope Francis: Christians should... 12
- Faith leaders respond to Supreme... 12
- Apocalypse when? How teachings on the... 11