Tom Smart, Deseret News
I am sickened by the ACLU's decision to sue the Davis School District because the school removed a book from the library. First of all, the book is inappropriate material for children, and it does not belong in the school library.
Secondly, where does the ACLU get off proclaiming that this is about the rights of elementary aged children? Is this a joke? What's next? Third graders suing their parents because they can't smoke cigarettes?
Gay marriage is a subject to be handled by parents or guardians, period. It has no place in schools, in the library or textbooks, etc. That is called indoctrination. If the ACLU wants to try to pretend this is a "free speech" issue then what is there to stop books about polygamy or incest — available right in your neighborhood's elementary school.
Leave kids alone and let parents have control.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 78
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 67
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 37
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 37
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 29
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19