NEW YORK — Notre Dame is No. 1 in The Associated Press college football rankings with nothing left to do but wait to find out who its opponent in the national championship game will be.
Toward the bottom of the rankings, there was plenty of movement. Ten Top 25 teams lost this weekend, the most since Oct. 11, 2003.
No. 2 Alabama and No. 3 Georgia, both easy winners in rivalry games Saturday, held their spots in the rankings and will play for the SEC title in Atlanta next weekend.
Ohio State remained No. 4 after completing its perfect season with a victory against Michigan. The Buckeyes (12-0) are banned from the postseason because of NCAA sanctions.
Florida moved up a spot to No. 5 after beating Florida State.
Four teams from BCS non-automatic qualifying leagues are ranked. No. 18 Kent State and No. 19 Northern Illinois will play for the Mid-American Conference title Friday. No. 20 Utah State wrapped up its season as Western Athletic Conference champ.
No. 25 Boise State will play for a share of the Mountain West title against Nevada on Saturday.
The Big East had two teams fall out of the rankings, Rutgers and Louisville. The Scarlet Knights and Cardinals will play Thursday night with the Big East title and BCS bid on the line.
Boise State and No. 22 Northwestern moved back into the rankings.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28