"At the end of the day, as a coach, that's all you can ask your kids to do," Sears said. "Are they working hard? Are they being selfless? Do they have a good attitude? Do they have self-discipline? Those are the qualities we want to instill in them, as well as help them become better football players. ... We've got to raise 'em, teach 'em, love 'em, kick 'em in the pants when they need it and hold 'em to a higher standard."
Sears has already made one key change in his coaching staff by bringing Timm Rosenbach, his former college teammate and a former NFL quarterback, to Weber State to serve as the team's offensive coordinator.
Sears will continue to serve as defensive coordinator for the time being and does not foresee any more changes in his coaching staff at this time.
He cites the offensive line as the Wildcats' most immediate need, although that's the area where he felt the team made a ton of improvement during 2012. He feels like the receiving corps and defensive line are the areas of least concern right now, but realizes that improvement must be made across the board.
And as for concern or criticism that he might be too nice of a guy to be a successful head coach, Sears says most people only see his "nice guy" public persona but that he can be plenty mean, tough and intense when it's called for.
"I was raised to be a good person, and I try to treat people fairly," he said. "I get along great with people in every setting.
"A lot of people don't see me at practice, though; they don't see me getting in somebody's grill. I have no problem with jumping right in the middle of someone if they need it."
And there's no doubt someone will need it, maybe every day from now on.
But now that he's had the word "interim" removed from his job title, he's determined not to see the words "2-9 record" in the same sentence with his name ever again.
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 149
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 58
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 19