Greg Baker, Associated Press
The Little Ice Age ended about 1850. Our pioneer forefathers crossed the Mississippi River on ice when they fled Illinois. The river has not frozen over since.
Whatever ended the Little Ice Age continued and is still making things warmer. It is causing a continual retreat of the glaciers, which causes the continuing rise in sea level by adding water to the oceans. The warmth is expected to come from the Earth getting closer to the sun in its astronomical cycling.
How does carbon dioxide fit in? It is one of the lesser greenhouse gasses; water vapor is the big one. Geological studies show a correlation between carbon dioxide and temperature in the ice ages, with carbon dioxide change lagging temperature change by about 800 years.
Industrial carbon dioxide is hastening global warming. We cannot stop global warming. We can and we must adapt to it.
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is threatened...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant
- My view: Prison relocation study is being...
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of interest...
- Letter: Divorce risks
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible for...
- Hinkins & King: No losers in Utah’s...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant 46
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible... 25
- My view: Prison relocation study is... 23
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is... 22
- Letter: A constant example 21
- Letter: Keep fighting drugs 19
- My view: Higher ed students can better... 18
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 17