Greg Baker, Associated Press
The Little Ice Age ended about 1850. Our pioneer forefathers crossed the Mississippi River on ice when they fled Illinois. The river has not frozen over since.
Whatever ended the Little Ice Age continued and is still making things warmer. It is causing a continual retreat of the glaciers, which causes the continuing rise in sea level by adding water to the oceans. The warmth is expected to come from the Earth getting closer to the sun in its astronomical cycling.
How does carbon dioxide fit in? It is one of the lesser greenhouse gasses; water vapor is the big one. Geological studies show a correlation between carbon dioxide and temperature in the ice ages, with carbon dioxide change lagging temperature change by about 800 years.
Industrial carbon dioxide is hastening global warming. We cannot stop global warming. We can and we must adapt to it.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29