WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-1 Friday night at Maverik Center as Alaska added a late empty-net goal.
Utah outshot Alaska 15-6 in the first period and took a 1-0 lead 3:33 into the first period as Brad Mills knocked in a rebound. Utah ended up taking the first 10 shots in the game. The Aces tied the game at one on a power-play and took a 2-1 lead with 1:10 left in the period.
"I liked the way we came out, but then we had two breakdowns in our own end," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "To trail after a period like that is a shame. We've been drilling all week on protecting our house."
The Aces made it 4-1 1:58 on goals by Zach Harrison and Joey Crabb.
"We don't have a lot of hunger right now," said Colley. "It makes your stomach turn when our guys with talent aren't willing to play as a team."
NHL cancels All-Star game
More than a third of the NHL regular season and two of its marquee events have now been called off.
The league announced its latest round of cancellations on Friday — Day 69 of its labor lockout. All games through Dec. 14 were wiped out, and this time All-Star Weekend, scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio, was lost, too. The New Year's Day outdoor Winter Classic already was scratched.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said losing the All-Star festivities is "extremely disappointing."
— Associated Press
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 69
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 50
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34