WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-1 Friday night at Maverik Center as Alaska added a late empty-net goal.
Utah outshot Alaska 15-6 in the first period and took a 1-0 lead 3:33 into the first period as Brad Mills knocked in a rebound. Utah ended up taking the first 10 shots in the game. The Aces tied the game at one on a power-play and took a 2-1 lead with 1:10 left in the period.
"I liked the way we came out, but then we had two breakdowns in our own end," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "To trail after a period like that is a shame. We've been drilling all week on protecting our house."
The Aces made it 4-1 1:58 on goals by Zach Harrison and Joey Crabb.
"We don't have a lot of hunger right now," said Colley. "It makes your stomach turn when our guys with talent aren't willing to play as a team."
NHL cancels All-Star game
More than a third of the NHL regular season and two of its marquee events have now been called off.
The league announced its latest round of cancellations on Friday — Day 69 of its labor lockout. All games through Dec. 14 were wiped out, and this time All-Star Weekend, scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio, was lost, too. The New Year's Day outdoor Winter Classic already was scratched.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said losing the All-Star festivities is "extremely disappointing."
— Associated Press
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 100
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 22
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16