WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-1 Friday night at Maverik Center as Alaska added a late empty-net goal.
Utah outshot Alaska 15-6 in the first period and took a 1-0 lead 3:33 into the first period as Brad Mills knocked in a rebound. Utah ended up taking the first 10 shots in the game. The Aces tied the game at one on a power-play and took a 2-1 lead with 1:10 left in the period.
"I liked the way we came out, but then we had two breakdowns in our own end," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "To trail after a period like that is a shame. We've been drilling all week on protecting our house."
The Aces made it 4-1 1:58 on goals by Zach Harrison and Joey Crabb.
"We don't have a lot of hunger right now," said Colley. "It makes your stomach turn when our guys with talent aren't willing to play as a team."
NHL cancels All-Star game
More than a third of the NHL regular season and two of its marquee events have now been called off.
The league announced its latest round of cancellations on Friday — Day 69 of its labor lockout. All games through Dec. 14 were wiped out, and this time All-Star Weekend, scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio, was lost, too. The New Year's Day outdoor Winter Classic already was scratched.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said losing the All-Star festivities is "extremely disappointing."
— Associated Press
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20