WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-1 Friday night at Maverik Center as Alaska added a late empty-net goal.
Utah outshot Alaska 15-6 in the first period and took a 1-0 lead 3:33 into the first period as Brad Mills knocked in a rebound. Utah ended up taking the first 10 shots in the game. The Aces tied the game at one on a power-play and took a 2-1 lead with 1:10 left in the period.
"I liked the way we came out, but then we had two breakdowns in our own end," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "To trail after a period like that is a shame. We've been drilling all week on protecting our house."
The Aces made it 4-1 1:58 on goals by Zach Harrison and Joey Crabb.
"We don't have a lot of hunger right now," said Colley. "It makes your stomach turn when our guys with talent aren't willing to play as a team."
NHL cancels All-Star game
More than a third of the NHL regular season and two of its marquee events have now been called off.
The league announced its latest round of cancellations on Friday — Day 69 of its labor lockout. All games through Dec. 14 were wiped out, and this time All-Star Weekend, scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio, was lost, too. The New Year's Day outdoor Winter Classic already was scratched.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said losing the All-Star festivities is "extremely disappointing."
— Associated Press
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25