BYU (6-5) at New Mexico State (1-9, 0-5)
SATURDAY, 1:30 p.m.
Aggie Memorial Stadium (30,343)
Natural grass, Las Cruces, N.M.
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Sunny with temperatures in the low 60s.
For BYU ... The Cougars are looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss last week at San Jose State and build some momentum going into the Poinsettia Bowl.
For NMSU ...The Aggies, who are coming off a bye, have had a miserable season. A win over BYU in its home finale would be a major boost for New Mexico State.
For BYU ... The Cougars have followed an interesting pattern this season — two wins, then two losses, two wins, two losses, two wins and a loss at SJSU. BYU is looking to end that trend today with a victory to avoid a .500 season.
For NMSU ... The Aggies have lost nine consecutive games, including a 47-7 drubbing at the hands of San Jose State on Nov. 10.
BYUwill win if ... The Cougars can score on their red zone opportunities, and hold on to the ball.
NMSU will win if ... The Aggies can make big plays and score long touchdowns in the passing game and force BYU to turn the ball over.
Player to Watch
James Lark, BYU: The Cougars' backup quarterback took all of the snaps in practice early in the week with starter Riley Nelson out with a rib injury. Will Lark make his first career start, or see significant playing time Saturday?
BYU's defensive secondary vs. NMSU WR Austin Franklin: The Cougar defense has been vulnerable at times to good wide receivers, and Franklin is a legitimate deep threat.
BYU: Quarterback Riley Nelson (rib injury) is listed as probable for this week. Wide receiver Cody Hoffman (shoulder) is expected to play.
NMSU: No major injuries.
New Mexico State visits Texas State in its regular-season finale on Dec. 1. BYU will play in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 20.
Date Opponent Time/result
Aug. 30 Washington State W, 30-6
Sept. 8 Weber State W, 45-13
Sept. 15 at Utah L, 24-21
Sept. 20 at Boise State L, 7-6
Sept. 28 Hawaii W, 47-0
Oct. 5 Utah State W, 6-3
Oct. 13 Oregon State L, 42-24
Oct. 20 at Notre Dame L, 17-14
Oct. 27 at Georgia Tech W, 41-17
Nov. 10 Idaho W, 52-13
Nov. 17 at San Jose State L, 20-14
Nov. 24 at New Mexico St. 1:30 p.m.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45