Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
I have been dismayed for years at the lack of respect for the American flag by National Basketball Association players. A small, humble gesture of placing one's hand over one's heart during the national anthem is symbolic of the gratitude we have in living in such a great land of peace, freedom and abundance. NBA players in particular should be grateful for this abundance.
Thanks to the efforts of Randy Rigby, president of the Utah Jazz, almost every player is placing his hand over his heart during the national anthem. I hope people will notice, both at home and on the road. I hope the team will be an example of decency and respect to others in their profession. I don't really care how many games they win — I am now proud to be a Utah Jazz fan.
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 47
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 22
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- Letter: Citizens have a duty 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17