Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
I have been dismayed for years at the lack of respect for the American flag by National Basketball Association players. A small, humble gesture of placing one's hand over one's heart during the national anthem is symbolic of the gratitude we have in living in such a great land of peace, freedom and abundance. NBA players in particular should be grateful for this abundance.
Thanks to the efforts of Randy Rigby, president of the Utah Jazz, almost every player is placing his hand over his heart during the national anthem. I hope people will notice, both at home and on the road. I hope the team will be an example of decency and respect to others in their profession. I don't really care how many games they win — I am now proud to be a Utah Jazz fan.
- My view: New labor rule may harm Utah's...
- Letter: Constitutional republic
- Jay Evensen: Utah's homeless problem still rages
- Dan Liljenquist: Confronting Saudi Arabia's...
- Letter: Public lands
- In our opinion: Troops in Syria makes sense
- Kathleen Parker: Karma tastes rich in new,...
- Letter: Utah GOP divided