Utah Utes volleyball: Odale sisters have a very different life off the court, thanks to music
Although McKenzie and Morgan Odale are a dynamic, sister duo on Crimson Court for the Utah Utes, their connection goes much deeper than volleyball.
The sisters grew up playing together and volleyball became a common passion for both ladies, the Daily Utah Chronicle reported when Morgan joined the team in 2010. Charlotte Odale said volleyball is a joy shared by her family, but the family's faith and musical interests will always be the factors that bond them together.
The two sisters share the passion of music and contribute this lifelong love to one of the more influential women in their lives, their grandmother Nathele King. The University of Utah Athletic department recently released a video featuring the Odale sisters with King.
In the video Morgan said music helps her keep a balance between the adrenaline, competitive nature of volleyball and her personal life.
"In volleyball its all about 'Attack, Kill!' and then music is like, 'be your natural self, like zen-mode, beautiful.'"
McKenzie also has an opinion about what music brings to her life and her family.
"I think music speaks to people at a different level than just plain words," McKenzie said. "It can speak to the heart of somebody and express things that usually cant get (expressed.)"
The family has been tied together with music since before King, when her mother used to sing, and will continue to have this common bond long after McKenzie and Morgan's volleyball careers come to a close at Utah.
"It brings my family and my sister together and it connects us in a way that you cant be connected in any other way," Mckenzie said.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- New Lone Peak basketball coach David Evans...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 82
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 32
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 26
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8