Four Seaside, Ore., firefighters narrowly avoided injury when a tree fell on their fire truck. Fire Chief Joey Daniels said the four had gone to U.S. Highway 26 to help clear a tree. When they got back into the truck, they saw another one starting to fall.
"They all opened their doors and jumped out," Daniels said.
Strong winds overturned large commercial trucks on two highways Monday. One tractor-trailer tipped over while crossing the Astoria-Megler Bridge that carries U.S. 101 across the Columbia River. That caused a lengthy traffic headache.
Another semi was blown onto its side in the middle of the Chehalis River Bridge in Aberdeen, on the Washington coast, Aberdeen police said.
In Washington, peak storm gusts reached 101 mph on the Megler bridge linking Oregon and Washington and 61 mph at Hoquiam on the Washington coast. They hit 114 mph on isolated Naselle Ridge in the mountains of southwest Washington, the Weather Service reported.
On the Oregon coast, strong gusts included 98 mph at Yaquina Head, 85 mph at Lincoln City and 80 mph at Newport, the Weather Service said. In Newport, the wind peeled back the roof of a restaurant.
The Weather Service reported 24-hour Washington rainfall totals as of Monday evening that included 4.09 inches in Bremerton, west of Seattle; 2.97 inches at Hoquiam on the Washington coast; and 6 inches at Cushman Dam on the Olympic Peninsula.
In Oregon, Lincoln City saw 3.55 inches of rain in 24 hours while 2.13 inches fell at the Portland airport and 2.08 inches in Salem. The Portland suburb of Hillsboro reported 3.42 inches, the Weather Service said.
Grand Ronde in the Oregon Coast range reported 6.10 inches.
In Portland, Weather Service meteorologist Kirsten Elson said powerful Northwest storms are not uncommon even as early as November. The storms, however, generally include either heavy winds or drenching rains, not both.
Associated Press writer Steven DuBois in Portland, Ore., contributed to this report.
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- George Washington University joins other...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket ban...
- American being sought for lion poaching with...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 70
- Religious groups react to Boy... 65
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- 2016 Republicans use Trump, TV to make... 26
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 16