BLAKE BARNEY, Dixie, football: Had a monster game last Friday to lead Dixie to its first state title since 1998.
The senior racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with six total touchdowns to spearhead the 49-21 victory over Spanish Fork.
"He's that type of kid. He goes out on the big stage and had his best game today," said Dixie coach Blaine Monkres. "When there's a big game he's ready to go."
Barney rushed for three TDs and passed for three TDs. The six total TDs tied a state championship game record.
He finished the season passing for 2,805 yards and 27 TDs while rushing for 1,321 yards and 19 TDs.
He graduates with a career total offense of 9,157 and 89 touchdowns.
SARAH TAYLOR, Wayne, basketball: Sarah Taylor doesn't need to say a lot to lead her teammates on the court.
"She's a leader, but she doesn't say a lot," said Wayne girls basketball head coach Jan Ellett. "She speaks with her work ethic. That's the kind of leader she is."
Taylor has helped the fifth-ranked Badgers to a 2-0 start this season averaging 18.5 points. She led the team with 25 points against Monument Valley last weekend.
"She has all the skills," said Ellett. "She handles the ball; she can play the perimeter; she's a great jump shooter. She's also a very good and improving post player. I think she's the whole package."
The honor student is a first-year starter, who also runs cross country, track and plays volleyball.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 86
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21