BYU football: ESPN reports Cougars 'have had conversations' about rejoining Mountain West Conference
The report claims that talks between the MWC and BYU stemmed from the recent changes to the Bowl Championship Series format. Those changes state that the highest-ranked champion from the five non-automatic-qualifying conferences is guaranteed a BCS berth.
Two other former MWC schools, Boise State and San Diego State, have also had conversations about rejoining, according to ESPN's sources. The two are slated to join the Big East starting in 2013, but that conference has lost its automatic-qualifying status.
To rejoin the Mountain West, BYU would have to relinquish its eight-year independent television deal with ESPN.
The Mountain West will have 10 football members in 2013: Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33