BYU football: ESPN reports Cougars 'have had conversations' about rejoining Mountain West Conference
The report claims that talks between the MWC and BYU stemmed from the recent changes to the Bowl Championship Series format. Those changes state that the highest-ranked champion from the five non-automatic-qualifying conferences is guaranteed a BCS berth.
Two other former MWC schools, Boise State and San Diego State, have also had conversations about rejoining, according to ESPN's sources. The two are slated to join the Big East starting in 2013, but that conference has lost its automatic-qualifying status.
To rejoin the Mountain West, BYU would have to relinquish its eight-year independent television deal with ESPN.
The Mountain West will have 10 football members in 2013: Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31