BYU football: ESPN reports Cougars 'have had conversations' about rejoining Mountain West Conference
The report claims that talks between the MWC and BYU stemmed from the recent changes to the Bowl Championship Series format. Those changes state that the highest-ranked champion from the five non-automatic-qualifying conferences is guaranteed a BCS berth.
Two other former MWC schools, Boise State and San Diego State, have also had conversations about rejoining, according to ESPN's sources. The two are slated to join the Big East starting in 2013, but that conference has lost its automatic-qualifying status.
To rejoin the Mountain West, BYU would have to relinquish its eight-year independent television deal with ESPN.
The Mountain West will have 10 football members in 2013: Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26