BYU football: ESPN reports Cougars 'have had conversations' about rejoining Mountain West Conference
The report claims that talks between the MWC and BYU stemmed from the recent changes to the Bowl Championship Series format. Those changes state that the highest-ranked champion from the five non-automatic-qualifying conferences is guaranteed a BCS berth.
Two other former MWC schools, Boise State and San Diego State, have also had conversations about rejoining, according to ESPN's sources. The two are slated to join the Big East starting in 2013, but that conference has lost its automatic-qualifying status.
To rejoin the Mountain West, BYU would have to relinquish its eight-year independent television deal with ESPN.
The Mountain West will have 10 football members in 2013: Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34