Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
While Utah Moms for Clean Air is working hard to improve our local air quality, the fact remains there is still much to be done, and our children need fresh, clean air today. So, here are some proactive steps to protect you and your family while the gunk hangs over our valley:
Change the filters in your home. Upgrade to HEPA filters for the best protection. During inversion season, change your filters monthly.
Change the air filter in your car. Then run internal circulation (no outside air) to cleanse the air in your car.
Invest in portable filters, especially for rooms where young children and babies sleep. Gaiam Living has a few, albeit pricey, great high-tech options.
Do not burn aromatic candles or use plug-in air freshers (they cause a significant amount of toxic indoor air pollution).
Keep windows and doors shut, and avoid extended exposure to the outside air. Exercise indoors. Also, bring leafy green plants into your home to help purify the air.
Write to your elected officials asking them what they are doing to clean up Utah's air.
The gunk will not clear out until Mother Nature decides it will. We are stuck with our gunk until the next weather disturbance rolls through town. Hopefully, that will be sooner rather than later.
Founder of Utah Moms for Clean Air
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to adopt a...
- My view: Now is the time for significant...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Dan Liljenquist: Predictions for the 2015...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- Jay Evensen: In fight over school funding,...
- My view: Free community college will hurt...
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 58
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 49
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 37
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 31