"What I do know is that every member in the intelligence community says that references to al-Qaida were removed by somebody, they don't know who," said Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.
Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Petraeus had signed off on the final talking points and that going after Rice was a useless witch hunt.
But Rep. Peter King said senior intelligence officials were strong-armed into doing so.
"Well, they had no choice," said King, R-N.Y., chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee. "They had no choice at that stage."
King did not elaborate on how he would know whether Petraeus was compelled to sign off on the talking points, and the lawmaker did not give any more details to bolster his allegation.
Sen. Olympia Snowe, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said she expects the committee will hold at least three more hearings on the matter and publish a report on its findings.
"It took 17 days for the director of national intelligence even to issue a statement to say that it was a deliberate and organized terrorist attack," said Snowe, R-Maine. "That's unacceptable in today's environment."
Feinstein and Rogers spoke on NBC's "Meet the Press." Levin and King were on ABC's "This Week." Chambliss appeared on "Fox News Sunday" and Snowe was on CBS' "Face the Nation."
AP Intelligence Writer Kimberly Dozier contributed to this report.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Central African Republic mobs launch ethnic...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- Purge sends chilling message to North Korea's...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 111
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 111
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Space and religion: How believers view... 21
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12