Brad Rock: Utah Utes need more of what they've got, must improve depth for upcoming seasons
Not that the game was clean. Far from it. The first half included four fumbles, three of them lost by one team or the other.
Maybe it was the intermittent rain. Probably it was not protecting the ball.
A big Utah break came when Arizona quarterback Matt Scott fumbled at the Utah seven with 33 seconds left in the first half. He must have felt terrible. Almost as bad as he did when TV cameras caught him hurling — and we don't mean passing — between plays.
In fairness, it was a stomach-churning kind of night for both teams.
Give the Utes' credit, they worked like they were fighting for the Rose Bowl. But a failed fake punt led to Arizona scoring the go-ahead touchdown with 11:07 remaining.
A fourth down try, a fake punt, a reverse, a fake field goal. The Utes used a lot of their playbook.
No reason at this point to save anything.
As they left the field, they also left a strong impression: That most games they're competitive enough. They're reasonably talented, too. Now they need to get more of it.
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Season-ending victory hurts Utah Jazz's...
- Jabari to the Jazz? Fans react to Parker's...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 64
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 55
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 51
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 47
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 39
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24