Utah State football title guaranteed: Aggies claim share of WAC crown for first time
"You can talk about different guys, but I know this, there are kids in the back end that took great pride (Saturday) in going and getting themselves in a fight against one of the top or best offenses in the country," Andersen said about his physical secondary. "We went toe-to-toe with one of the best wide receivers that I have seen in college football in a long time in (Quinton Patton). When you are playing against a team like this that is averaging the points they are averaging ... you have to understand it and change the game.
"The only way to change that game is to bring pressure and play man coverage."
Keeton scored on a 13-yard run and Diaz added a 30-yard field goal after Tech kick returner D.J. Banks muffed a kickoff.
Keeton added a 25-yard touchdown run in which he juked one Tech defender and plowed through another to take a 34-10 lead.
Utah State had its third 24-point advantage at 41-17, but the Bulldogs stormed back to score 24 unanswered points in 15:48.
Banks returned a kickoff 98 yards before Kenneth Dixon and Hunter Lee added touchdown runs.
Tech's comeback appeared over when Doughty intercepted a pass with five minutes remaining and a 41-31 edge.
"First of all, Jake is one of those examples of who we are," Andersen said. "He has belief. He is tough, aggressive, a never-say-die young man.
"He made a lot of plays, did a lot of great things, walked on with this program and believed in me. ... For him to make those plays is awesome."
But the Bulldogs responded by forcing a quick punt, and Tech drove 86 yards in just eight plays that ended with the Lee touchdown run.
Utah State couldn't pick up a first down on the next possession, and Tech drove 62 yards to set up a Matt Nelson 32-yard field goal as time expired to send the game to overtime.
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- Can Cougars sweep their first WCC road trip...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Hood earns bragging rights over Lyles and...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38