For decades, Hispanic leaders have warned of the consequences of rejecting the legitimacy of the children and parents who have come to reside, work and contribute to the economies and infrastructures of these great United States.
After the election, the Republicans, upon viewing the corpse that is their political party, are still hesitant to allow the injection of life-saving, strength-giving transfusion — immigration simplification, amnesty for those undocumented who have been contributors and builders of the American dream and a chance to make that dream a reality for themselves through work and educational strides.
Instead, Utah Latino voters who tried to sit in the Republican mass-meeting chair had to squeamishly listen to this rhetoric:
"We oppose illegal immigration and all forms of amnesty, or legal status, for illegal immigrants. We support suspending automatic U.S. citizenship to children born to illegal immigrant parents … We believe that current laws against employing illegal immigrants should be vigorously enforced … (Utah Republican Platform)
And it came as a surprise that Latinos didn't feel the love from the Republican Party? Let's hope, for the betterment of our nation, that the remedy does not come too late to save the party, that in reality, most reflects the true and very strong values of the Hispanic people — family, work and faith.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: A worldwide message
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Becky Lockhart's tributes are...
- Letter: No end in sight
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- A. Scott Anderson: Taking Utah into Top 10...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Obama's broadband... 36
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 34
- Letter: Not so lazy 33
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31