, Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU (6-4) at San Jose State (8-2)
SATURDAY, 8:30 p.m.
Spartan Stadium (30,456)
FieldTurf, San Jose, Calif.
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Temperatures in the low 60s, 50 percent chance of rain.
For BYU ... The Cougars are bowl-eligible and have won two consecutive games. BYU is looking to win out, and the Spartans should provide a formidable test.
For San Jose State ... The Spartans have won four straight games and are receiving votes in the national polls. A victory would be huge for San Jose State, which hosts Louisiana Tech to close out the regular season next week.
For BYU ... The Cougars have won three straight games against the Spartans, including last year's 29-16 victory in Provo. However, SJSU leads the all-time series, 9-6. BYU hasn't won more than two games in a row this season.
For San Jose State ... Despite the fact that the Spartans have won eight games, they are next-to-last in the NCAA in average attendance: 9,228. An influx of BYU fans to Spartan Stadium should boost that average.
BYU will win if ... The Cougars need to protect the ball and capitalize on scoring opportunities in the red zone. BYU's defense needs to get pressure on quarterback David Fales and limit SJSU's pass-happy offense.
For San Jose State ... The Spartans can shred BYU's secondary, as Oregon State was able to in October, and force turnovers.
Jamaal Williams, BYU: Can the freshman phenom post his third consecutive 100-yard rushing game?
BYU's defensive secondary vs. SJSU QB David Fales: The Cougar secondary is thinner after the suspension of starting safety Joe Sampson. Craig Bills will take Sampson's spot in the lineup. Cornerback Jordan Johnson, who was suspended for the Idaho game, will be back. Fales is one of the nation's top passers, and completes 72 percent of his throws.
BYU: The Cougars are hopeful that senior center Braden Hansen, who left the Notre Dame game due to a groin injury and hasn't played since, will return against the Spartans.
San Jose State: No significant injuries.
Next Saturday, San Jose State hosts Louisiana Tech, while BYU visits New Mexico State (1:30 p.m. MT, ESPN3).
Date. . .Opponent. . .Time/result
Aug. 30. . .Washington State. . .W, 30-6
Sept. 8. . .Weber State. . .W, 45-13
Sept. 15. . .at Utah. . .L, 24-21
Sept. 20. . .at Boise State. . .L, 7-6
Sept. 28. . .Hawaii. . .W, 47-0
Oct. 5. . .Utah State. . .W, 6-3
Oct. 13. . .Oregon State. . .L, 42-24
Oct. 20. . .at Notre Dame. . .L, 17-14
Oct. 27. . .at Georgia Tech. . .W, 41-17
Nov. 10. . .Idaho. . .W, 52-13
Nov. 17. . .at San Jose State. . .8:30 p.m.
Nov. 24. . .at New Mexico St.. . .1:30 p.m.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7