, Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU (6-4) at San Jose State (8-2)
SATURDAY, 8:30 p.m.
Spartan Stadium (30,456)
FieldTurf, San Jose, Calif.
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Temperatures in the low 60s, 50 percent chance of rain.
For BYU ... The Cougars are bowl-eligible and have won two consecutive games. BYU is looking to win out, and the Spartans should provide a formidable test.
For San Jose State ... The Spartans have won four straight games and are receiving votes in the national polls. A victory would be huge for San Jose State, which hosts Louisiana Tech to close out the regular season next week.
For BYU ... The Cougars have won three straight games against the Spartans, including last year's 29-16 victory in Provo. However, SJSU leads the all-time series, 9-6. BYU hasn't won more than two games in a row this season.
For San Jose State ... Despite the fact that the Spartans have won eight games, they are next-to-last in the NCAA in average attendance: 9,228. An influx of BYU fans to Spartan Stadium should boost that average.
BYU will win if ... The Cougars need to protect the ball and capitalize on scoring opportunities in the red zone. BYU's defense needs to get pressure on quarterback David Fales and limit SJSU's pass-happy offense.
For San Jose State ... The Spartans can shred BYU's secondary, as Oregon State was able to in October, and force turnovers.
Jamaal Williams, BYU: Can the freshman phenom post his third consecutive 100-yard rushing game?
BYU's defensive secondary vs. SJSU QB David Fales: The Cougar secondary is thinner after the suspension of starting safety Joe Sampson. Craig Bills will take Sampson's spot in the lineup. Cornerback Jordan Johnson, who was suspended for the Idaho game, will be back. Fales is one of the nation's top passers, and completes 72 percent of his throws.
BYU: The Cougars are hopeful that senior center Braden Hansen, who left the Notre Dame game due to a groin injury and hasn't played since, will return against the Spartans.
San Jose State: No significant injuries.
Next Saturday, San Jose State hosts Louisiana Tech, while BYU visits New Mexico State (1:30 p.m. MT, ESPN3).
Date. . .Opponent. . .Time/result
Aug. 30. . .Washington State. . .W, 30-6
Sept. 8. . .Weber State. . .W, 45-13
Sept. 15. . .at Utah. . .L, 24-21
Sept. 20. . .at Boise State. . .L, 7-6
Sept. 28. . .Hawaii. . .W, 47-0
Oct. 5. . .Utah State. . .W, 6-3
Oct. 13. . .Oregon State. . .L, 42-24
Oct. 20. . .at Notre Dame. . .L, 17-14
Oct. 27. . .at Georgia Tech. . .W, 41-17
Nov. 10. . .Idaho. . .W, 52-13
Nov. 17. . .at San Jose State. . .8:30 p.m.
Nov. 24. . .at New Mexico St.. . .1:30 p.m.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 76
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24