Letter: Mitt Romney's defeat was due to a misguided campaign and his own ill-advised comments
I couldn't disagree more with Paul Taylor's opinion that Romney was done in by the Republican primary battles ("Primaries reason for loss," Nov. 12). There is overwhelming evidence Romney's defeat was due to a misguided campaign and his own ill-advised comments.
Primary campaigns have consequences, but the heated Democratic primaries in 2008 didn't keep Obama from winning the general election or patching things up with the Clintons, and they had little or no effect on this year's presidential race.
I agree with Taylor, though, on the advisability of Marco Rubio's cachet in Republican politics. As for his suggestion that the GOP select its presidential candidate now and groom him or her for 2016, good luck with that.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 30
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24