Although I've had more significant experiences (including some that I'm unlikely ever to share in a newspaper column), my meeting with that professor, ultimately trivial though it surely seems, did teach me something very important: I've been told that prophets cannot foretell the future, and that we cannot know things except through natural means. But I can testify, from unmistakable personal experience, that those two claims are false.
Daniel C. Peterson is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University, where he also serves as editor in chief of the Middle Eastern Texts Initiative. He is the founder of MormonScholarsTestify.org, the general editor of "Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture" online at www.mormoninterpreter.com and he blogs daily at www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson.
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- Match the Relief Society presidents to their...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 114
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 36
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 31
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 23
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,... 19