Jabari, nicknamed Abu Mohammed, was born in 1960 in the eastern Gaza neighborhood of Shejaiya. In 2006, he became the acting commander of the military wing of Hamas after his predecessor, Muhammad Deif, was seriously wounded in an Israeli attack.
Jabari began as a member of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah party, but switched his allegiance to Hamas after serving 13 years in an Israeli prison.
He survived four previous attempts by Israel to kill him. In one attempt in 2004 his eldest son, his brother and three other relatives were killed.
He was said to have led the bloody 2007 takeover of Gaza from Fatah forces, developing Hamas's military arsenal and its networks in Iran, Sudan and Lebanon and for his planning of the Schalit kidnapping. Hamas has ruled Gaza with an iron grip since then, and repeated attempts to reconcile with Fatah have failed.
The assassination threatened to further damage Israel's relations with Egypt, which is governed by Hamas' ideological counterpart, the Muslim Brotherhood.
On its official Facebook page, the Freedom and Justice Party, the Muslim Brotherhood's political arm, called the assassination a "crime that requires a quick Arab and international response to stem these massacres against the besieged Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip."
It accused Israel of trying to "drag the region toward instability."
Israel and Egypt signed a peace accord in 1979. Relations, never warm, have deteriorated since longtime Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular uprising last year.
Heller reported from Jerusalem. Additional reporting from Sarah El Deeb in Cairo. Follow Heller on Twitter (at)aronhellerap
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- Obama immigration plan good, not great for...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 14