On Monday, May 26, 1834, the Camp of Israel, later known as Zion's Camp, marched through the little town of Paris, Ill.
Conditions were very challenging, particularly the heat and lack of good drinking water.
The Prophet Joseph Smith's published history notes: "A very hot day. We traveled through Paris and across a sixteen mile prairie; at noon we stopped to bait at a slough, about six miles from the timber, having no water to drink but such as was filled with living animals commonly called wigglers, and as we did not like to swallow them we strained the water before using it."
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 107
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 38
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 35
- New friends plan to work together to... 26
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14