On Monday, May 26, 1834, the Camp of Israel, later known as Zion's Camp, marched through the little town of Paris, Ill.
Conditions were very challenging, particularly the heat and lack of good drinking water.
The Prophet Joseph Smith's published history notes: "A very hot day. We traveled through Paris and across a sixteen mile prairie; at noon we stopped to bait at a slough, about six miles from the timber, having no water to drink but such as was filled with living animals commonly called wigglers, and as we did not like to swallow them we strained the water before using it."
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 teens, 3 missionaries, 1 memorable reunion
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 9
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 6