Superstorm Sandy spotlights surge in Southern Baptist Church plants
Our take: Hurricane Sandy has become an opportunity to serve for members of the Southern Baptist Conventions church plants (new churches established in unchurched communities) in the Northeast. Christianity Today reports that new churches have mobilized to help those in need in areas damaged by the storm.
When Hurricane Sandy churned up devastation in the Northeast last week, fresh Southern Baptist church plants part of a new urban emphasis the Convention rolled out this summer mobilized to help.
"I keep thinking, 'What if we weren't here?'" said Sterling Edwards, who planted a Southern Baptist church in Long Island six years ago, and a second about eight months ago. "What if we weren't mobilized and not able to reach out? Because we're seeing impact."
Edwards has opened up both his churches for disaster relief, offering showers, food storage, and a place to sleep for a team of about 50 disaster relief workers.
"One of the major obstacles for church planters [in New York] is that we live in a community with no perceivable, tangible need," he said. "So when a storm like Sandy comes along, it reveals the vulnerability of our community and in that sense, there is opportunity for us to be able to truly minister to people."
Read more about the work of Southern Baptists in Sandy's aftermath on Christianity Today .
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a reminder...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon...
- 5 tips for digitizing photos
- President Henry B. Eyring rededicates temple...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 41
- Renovated LDS temple represents... 11
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon... 7
- Book review: 'Finding Peace When a... 7
- U.S. Catholic leaders approve new plan... 6
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is... 3
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 3
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 2