CARSON, Calif. — Robbie Keane scored twice, Mike Magee added his latest clutch playoff goal and the Los Angeles Galaxy beat the Seattle Sounders 3-0 on Sunday night to take a commanding lead in the first leg of the MLS Western Conference finals.
Keane had an assist and Sean Franklin set up two goals by the defending champion Galaxy, who will head to Seattle next Sunday in prime position to earn their third MLS Cup appearance in four years.
Michael Gspurning made three saves to avoid an even more disastrous result for the Sounders, who must beat the Galaxy by four goals next weekend to advance to the franchise's first MLS Cup.
If Los Angeles survives and Houston wraps up the Eastern Conference finals after beating D.C. United 3-1 earlier Sunday, the MLS Cup would be a rematch of last season's game, when David Beckham and the Galaxy won it all at Home Depot Center.
DYNAMO 3, D.C. UNITED 1: At Houston, Andre Hainault, Will Bruin and Kofi Sarkodie each scored second-half goals to give Houston a win over D.C. United in the first leg of the Eastern Conference finals.
The Dynamo extended their home unbeaten streak to 30 games, dating to June 18, 2011. Houston is four wins or ties shy of matching Real Salt Lake's league-record 34-game home unbeaten run.
Nick DeLeon scored for United in the 27th minute.
The win gives Houston a two-goal aggregate lead heading into next Sunday's decisive match at RFK Stadium in Washington. United will have to win that match by three goals to advance.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Utes outlast weather delay en route to 26-10...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33