YUMA, Ariz. — Snow College completed an undefeated run through the Western States Football League with a 40-26 win over the Arizona Western Matadors in a game played Saturday night in Yuma, Ariz. The No. 7-ranked Badgers finished the season at 10-1 overall as they took the momentum back after the No. 8 Matadors scored to take a short-lived 12-9 lead early in the second quarter.
Sophomore quarterback Christian Stewart finished with 191 yards passing and three touchdowns, completing 12 of his 22 passes. Stewart had scoring strikes of 20 yards to Breon Allen, 15 yards to Lowry Akers and 10 yards to Evan Moeai, all in the first half. Snow led 33-19 at the break.
Allen finished with a hard-fought 120 yards on the ground on 28 carries and had Snow's only score of the second half, finding the end zone from two yards out with under two minutes left in the third quarter. Snow recorded its eighth safety of the season when Matador punter Tilghman Harvey stepped on the end line to make the score 9-0 for Snow near the end of the opening period.
Matador quarterback Tanner McEvoy was tough for the Badger defense to contain, rushing for 119 yards on 19 carries and scoring three touchdowns. McEvoy threw for Arizona Western's other score, hitting Markeith Ambles from 29 yards out for the last score of the game four minutes into the final period.
Arizona Western (7-2, 6-2) will host the second annual El Toro Bowl on Dec. 2, while Snow College (10-1, 8-0) will be looking for a bowl invite after deciding earlier this year not to host the Top of the Mountains Bowl game after holding the event for eight years in Salt Lake City.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25