DENVER — Michelle Plouffe, an honorable mention AP All-American a year ago, scored 29 points to lead the Utah women's basketball team to 75-60 season-opening win over the University of Denver on Saturday afternoon at Magness Arena.
Plouffe had her 14th career 20-point game — missing her career high of 30 by a single point — and tied a career best by going 5-for-8 from three-point range. The junior forward, who spent the summer playing with the Canadian Olympic Team, also led the Utes with eight rebounds.
Junior forward Taryn Wicijowski backed up Plouffe's effort with 16 points, seven rebounds and a team-high seven assists. Iwalani Rodrigues was the third Ute in double figures with 13 points.
"I'm really pleased," Ute head coach Anthony Levrets said. "It was the first game of the year, playing against a team under a new head coach, and we didn't have any kind of a scout on this team. Denver is a scrappy group that plays incredibly hard and incredibly well together. We didn't come in here and play the best basketball that we're going to play later in the year, but we certainly played well enough to win and I'm proud of our effort."
SLCC 70, EAST IDAHO ELITE 58: At Taylorsville, sophomore center Rachel Morris scored 13 points and had eight rebounds to go with two blocks. Freshman guard Natalie Parsons tallied 13 points on 3-for-6 from three-point range. Sophomore guard Diamond Marchand scored 12 points and helped out with four assists, and freshman forward Bella Swan had 10 points and six rebounds.
WESTMINSTER 60, COLLEGE OF IDAHO 56 (OT): At Salt Lake City, Nicole Yazzie and Kelsi Wells scored 17 points apiece.
SLCC 103, ARIZONA WESTERN 95 (2OT): At Topawa, Ariz., sophomore guard Skyler Halford scored 19 points on the night, and sophomore point guard Tyrell Corbin hit 12-of-14 free throws. Sophomore forward Sai Tummala tallied 20 points, and freshman guard Gary Payton II scored 12.
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16