Worst waste of money, time and effort: Political activists from both sides have expressed concerns about all the money and advertising dumped by national interest groups and Super PACs in our state and in the national media markets. Why? Most of the TV and radio ads generated by these organizations were awful. They lacked creativity and any sense of message for intelligent voters. Billions of dollars were spent, without net effect, in the country or our state. This includes the formulaic advertisements generated by the Republican and Democratic national campaign committees. The stuff developed and produced by our local campaigns and PR agencies were much better.
Biggest winners: Everyone who stuck their necks out, put their good names on the line and ran for an office — win or lose — in this wild and crazy election. Good government depends on good people seeking office. The potential for exhilaration and ecstasy is always high. But so is the potential for devastation and despair. To the winners, we say: Be humble and magnanimous. To the losers we say: Keep your head up. Given some time and perspective, you will view it as a great experience.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: Government, health care
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15