BYU football: Police report implicates Cougar football players
PROVO — BYU football players may have been involved in an altercation that took place at a local restaurant in the early morning hours of Nov. 1, according to the Provo Police Department.
Officers responded to an incident at the Rancherito restaurant, located at 1314 North State Street, at 3 a.m., on Halloween night.
The police did not identify those who allegedly were involved in the altercation.
On Thursday night, coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that starting safety Joe Sampson and backup linebacker Zac Stout have been suspended for a violation of team rules, and have withdrawn from school.
"There are several parties involved on both sides of the altercation and witnesses," according to a news release posted on the police department's Facebook page. "The Provo Police Department is currently attempting to identify and interview everyone involved in the incident in order to put together a complete investigation and determine the appropriate course of action. There are allegations that some members of the Brigham Young University Football Team are involved in the incident.
"At this time there are no formal charges and as such we are unable to release any further information," the statement continued. "Once the investigation is concluded the investigating officer will review the case with the Provo City Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges will be filed."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22