Cliff Owen, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.
According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign and on Friday the president accepted.
Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having the affair.
Petraeus has been married for 37 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
The retired four-star general led the military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, then took the helm of the CIA in September 2011.
The CIA had no immediate comment.
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13