Cliff Owen, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.
According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign and on Friday the president accepted.
Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having the affair.
Petraeus has been married for 37 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
The retired four-star general led the military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, then took the helm of the CIA in September 2011.
The CIA had no immediate comment.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Top 15 states for education
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5