Cliff Owen, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.
According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign and on Friday the president accepted.
Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having the affair.
Petraeus has been married for 37 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
The retired four-star general led the military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, then took the helm of the CIA in September 2011.
The CIA had no immediate comment.
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix...
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Wellness programs grow more popular with...
- Keflezighi's Boston win a boost for shoe sponsor
- Misdiagnosed bipolar: One girl’s...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 25
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 20
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 19
- Vegas’ water drying up 15
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Boogeymen and shady deals define spin... 11