Cliff Owen, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.
According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign and on Friday the president accepted.
Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having the affair.
Petraeus has been married for 37 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
The retired four-star general led the military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, then took the helm of the CIA in September 2011.
The CIA had no immediate comment.
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops among...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 61
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 20
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14