Cliff Owen, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.
According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign and on Friday the president accepted.
Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having the affair.
Petraeus has been married for 37 years to Holly Petraeus, whom he met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
The retired four-star general led the military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, then took the helm of the CIA in September 2011.
The CIA had no immediate comment.
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 31
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 27
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 18
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 18