Say goodbye to warmer weather as storm arrives
Winter system may drop up to 3 feet of snow in mountains
Tom Smart, Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — You're most likely saying to yourself, "What a difference a day makes" as you look out the window this morning.
After several days of sunny skies and warmer-than-normal temperatures, today's high is only expected to be in the mid-40s as snow is expected to hit the Wasatch Front.
The mountains in the northern end of the state are anticipated to get anywhere from 1 foot to 3 feet of snow, while mountains at the southern end could get up to 2 feet of snow through Sunday. Valley accumulation of snow will also be widespread.
The anticipated blast of winter weather will be welcome for water supply managers throughout the state. A new report issued Tuesday by the U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service indicates soil moisture is below average in northern and southeastern Utah and near average in southwestern Utah as of Nov. 1.
Prepared by the Snow Survey Staff, the Utah Water and Climate Report provides a monthly snapshot of precipitation received, reservoir storage levels, stream flow rates and soil moisture levels throughout the state and its multiple basins.
October precipitation, according to the report, was near normal for the Bear and Weber basins — about 100 percent.
In contrast, it is below average, in the 60 percent to 85 percent range, in the rest of the state.
The report notes reservoir storage at low levels — 58 percent of capacity compared with 85 percent at last year — across the state. While the stream flow is at average levels in southwestern Utah, it is below to "well below" average for most of the remainder of Utah.
"Given overall poor stream flow and dry soil moisture conditions, the preliminary water supply outlook for water year 2013 is a bit below average conditions," the report said. "Above average snowpacks would be welcome this year to offset the dryer conditions."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: amyjoi16
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- Shoppers skip turkey for a shot at...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Advent: A time of fasting, preparation for...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 37
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 28
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 26
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 26