Say goodbye to warmer weather as storm arrives
Winter system may drop up to 3 feet of snow in mountains
Tom Smart, Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — You're most likely saying to yourself, "What a difference a day makes" as you look out the window this morning.
After several days of sunny skies and warmer-than-normal temperatures, today's high is only expected to be in the mid-40s as snow is expected to hit the Wasatch Front.
The mountains in the northern end of the state are anticipated to get anywhere from 1 foot to 3 feet of snow, while mountains at the southern end could get up to 2 feet of snow through Sunday. Valley accumulation of snow will also be widespread.
The anticipated blast of winter weather will be welcome for water supply managers throughout the state. A new report issued Tuesday by the U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service indicates soil moisture is below average in northern and southeastern Utah and near average in southwestern Utah as of Nov. 1.
Prepared by the Snow Survey Staff, the Utah Water and Climate Report provides a monthly snapshot of precipitation received, reservoir storage levels, stream flow rates and soil moisture levels throughout the state and its multiple basins.
October precipitation, according to the report, was near normal for the Bear and Weber basins — about 100 percent.
In contrast, it is below average, in the 60 percent to 85 percent range, in the rest of the state.
The report notes reservoir storage at low levels — 58 percent of capacity compared with 85 percent at last year — across the state. While the stream flow is at average levels in southwestern Utah, it is below to "well below" average for most of the remainder of Utah.
"Given overall poor stream flow and dry soil moisture conditions, the preliminary water supply outlook for water year 2013 is a bit below average conditions," the report said. "Above average snowpacks would be welcome this year to offset the dryer conditions."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: amyjoi16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21