NEWARK, N.J. — The Utah Valley University volleyball team moved into a tie atop the Great West Conference standings with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-10, 25-22) road win over NJIT Thursday evening in Newark, N.J.
UVU improves to 15-8 overall and in a first-place tie with Houston Baptist with identical 6-1 conference records with just one match remaining for both teams.
Erica Nish led UVU in the match with 12 kills and a .348 attack percentage, while Katie Fritzler and Kalani Norris both added nine kills apiece.
BYU MEN'S TENNIS: At Los Angeles, rain delays kept several Cougars from finishing their matches but not before freshman tennis player John Pearce, who entered the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships as a No. 5 seed, won his first match Thursday, 6-0, 6-2, at UCLA's campus.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE WOMEN'S HOOPS: At Salt Lake City, the No. 14-ranked Bruins (2-1) defeated South Mountain CC 59-56 (1-1) at Bruin Arena. Freshman guard Katie Richens tallied 14 points, going 4-of-11 from the field and hitting both of her 3-point shots.
WESTMINSTER WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: At Salt Lake City, the fifth-ranked Griffins dropped a 73-62 decision to The Master's (Calif.) in the season opener for each team.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48