NEWARK, N.J. — The Utah Valley University volleyball team moved into a tie atop the Great West Conference standings with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-10, 25-22) road win over NJIT Thursday evening in Newark, N.J.
UVU improves to 15-8 overall and in a first-place tie with Houston Baptist with identical 6-1 conference records with just one match remaining for both teams.
Erica Nish led UVU in the match with 12 kills and a .348 attack percentage, while Katie Fritzler and Kalani Norris both added nine kills apiece.
BYU MEN'S TENNIS: At Los Angeles, rain delays kept several Cougars from finishing their matches but not before freshman tennis player John Pearce, who entered the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships as a No. 5 seed, won his first match Thursday, 6-0, 6-2, at UCLA's campus.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE WOMEN'S HOOPS: At Salt Lake City, the No. 14-ranked Bruins (2-1) defeated South Mountain CC 59-56 (1-1) at Bruin Arena. Freshman guard Katie Richens tallied 14 points, going 4-of-11 from the field and hitting both of her 3-point shots.
WESTMINSTER WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: At Salt Lake City, the fifth-ranked Griffins dropped a 73-62 decision to The Master's (Calif.) in the season opener for each team.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42