NEWARK, N.J. — The Utah Valley University volleyball team moved into a tie atop the Great West Conference standings with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-10, 25-22) road win over NJIT Thursday evening in Newark, N.J.
UVU improves to 15-8 overall and in a first-place tie with Houston Baptist with identical 6-1 conference records with just one match remaining for both teams.
Erica Nish led UVU in the match with 12 kills and a .348 attack percentage, while Katie Fritzler and Kalani Norris both added nine kills apiece.
BYU MEN'S TENNIS: At Los Angeles, rain delays kept several Cougars from finishing their matches but not before freshman tennis player John Pearce, who entered the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships as a No. 5 seed, won his first match Thursday, 6-0, 6-2, at UCLA's campus.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE WOMEN'S HOOPS: At Salt Lake City, the No. 14-ranked Bruins (2-1) defeated South Mountain CC 59-56 (1-1) at Bruin Arena. Freshman guard Katie Richens tallied 14 points, going 4-of-11 from the field and hitting both of her 3-point shots.
WESTMINSTER WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: At Salt Lake City, the fifth-ranked Griffins dropped a 73-62 decision to The Master's (Calif.) in the season opener for each team.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26