I think this election could be a valuable lesson for the Republican Party. I think the cause of Romney's defeat is clear: the Latino vote. It will no longer be possible for Republicans to win national elections without the support of this important voting demographic.
I believe Latinos would fit quite comfortably in the Republican Party. They tend to be morally conservative, with strong religious values. They want what is best for their families. They also prefer to receive an honest day's wage for an honest day's work rather than a government handout.
So why do Latinos generally avoid the GOP? I'm sure the media has had some influence, but an even bigger reason has been Republicans themselves. Many are tone deaf in their arguments about immigration. I don't claim to know the solution to immigration, but I do know that many Republicans have talked about it in a way that sounds less than humane, even borderline racist.
I urge the GOP to learn from Mitt Romney's loss. Being conservative shouldn't mean being caustic.
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- This year's most popular editorials
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report didn't...
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —...
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Letter: Condoning torture
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 65
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report... 44
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Condoning torture 32
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 26
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —... 25