I think this election could be a valuable lesson for the Republican Party. I think the cause of Romney's defeat is clear: the Latino vote. It will no longer be possible for Republicans to win national elections without the support of this important voting demographic.
I believe Latinos would fit quite comfortably in the Republican Party. They tend to be morally conservative, with strong religious values. They want what is best for their families. They also prefer to receive an honest day's wage for an honest day's work rather than a government handout.
So why do Latinos generally avoid the GOP? I'm sure the media has had some influence, but an even bigger reason has been Republicans themselves. Many are tone deaf in their arguments about immigration. I don't claim to know the solution to immigration, but I do know that many Republicans have talked about it in a way that sounds less than humane, even borderline racist.
I urge the GOP to learn from Mitt Romney's loss. Being conservative shouldn't mean being caustic.
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- In our opinion: Transitioning from coal to...
- My view: The one thing that could solve...
- In our opinion: Increased on-screen violence...
- John Florez: Have students become pawns for...
- Letter: US dollar
- Letter: Trump's delegate count
- Michael Gerson: The Syrian fire will continue...
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 54
- In our opinion: Transitioning from coal... 40
- Michael Gerson: The Trump train is... 35
- My view: Character still matters in... 26
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 23
- Mia Love: America's soldiers are... 23
- Letter: Obama visits Hiroshima 22
- In our opinion: Remembering Hiroshima... 20