I think this election could be a valuable lesson for the Republican Party. I think the cause of Romney's defeat is clear: the Latino vote. It will no longer be possible for Republicans to win national elections without the support of this important voting demographic.
I believe Latinos would fit quite comfortably in the Republican Party. They tend to be morally conservative, with strong religious values. They want what is best for their families. They also prefer to receive an honest day's wage for an honest day's work rather than a government handout.
So why do Latinos generally avoid the GOP? I'm sure the media has had some influence, but an even bigger reason has been Republicans themselves. Many are tone deaf in their arguments about immigration. I don't claim to know the solution to immigration, but I do know that many Republicans have talked about it in a way that sounds less than humane, even borderline racist.
I urge the GOP to learn from Mitt Romney's loss. Being conservative shouldn't mean being caustic.
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod
- In our opinion: Maintaining balance
- Endangered Species Act lost sight of its mission
- Doug Robinson: Utah man discovers powerful...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 65
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 49
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Robert Bennett: Keystone: What... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 27
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 24